Pages

Sunday 20 October 2013

'Downsizing'

Downsizing is typically what people do when they retire, start worrying about their money running out before they die, and then try to lower their outgoings.  I could be mistaken, but one of my dad's favourite pastimes is 'downsizing'.  Or, more accurately, putting absolutely everything on a graph/flow chart/spreadsheet and analysing the shit out of it, trying to find out how to make things more efficient.

I share this passion, but sadly lack the ongoing commitment for it to actually make much of a difference in the long run.  That's probably why my savings account grows at the rate of a 20 year old tree; steadily, but not noticeably.  I have, however, been trying to stay more on top of things recently.  I've shopped around for a better mobile phone contract, cancelled direct debits for things I don't really need, and pretty much abandoned any hope of being considered 'stylish' thanks to wearing the same 5 outfits on rotations, threadbare or not.

While I've been de-cluttering my finances, I've also been trying to de-clutter my apartment.  Reasons for this include:


  • I can potentially make a little (definitely not a lot) of money by selling things I no longer need/use on eBay.
  • There will be less shit to have to move when I sell my apartment/move into a new place.
  • There will be somewhere for me to put the storage heater that currently lives on my living room floor.
While I have been soldiering on with this task for the last week, sadly it remains true that things start looking worse before they start looking better.  I currently feel claustrophobic in my normally roomy living room thanks to the contents of the storage cupboard being strewn across every possible surface for me to photograph/diligently check/throw out/sell.  


I really hate myself for going through that baking phase during which I felt I needed 20 different kinds of flour, countless piping options, and an array of themed cupcake holders.  Who actually has time for that?!

Anyway, I'm about 4 big black bin bags lighter than I was last week.  Progress is progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said: